Saturday, November 6, 2010

A 2nd Grade Education


We always knew that, at some point in time, we would consider Christian school or home schooling for Elijah. I’ve always admired all the mothers that home school and I think it’s a fantastic idea but I have no patience for it. As clingy as Elijah is to me, he needs a break. We always imagined the curriculum at a public school would force us to put Elijah in a good school - sheltered, in a bubble, hoping he doesn’t learn more there than in public school. It worried us and we had discussed it at length, the different scenarios that would make us take that plunge. We had no idea it would come in 2nd grade at the hands of another 2nd grader.

Elijah came bouncing toward me when I just walked in from work. Anxious to tell me the facts of the day, “I did not pull a color today. I did pass 8-minute math. I did pass my practice spelling test.” Grinning from ear to ear. “Aaaaannnnddd, guess what Michael* told me.”

“What did Michael tell you?” I asked, assuming Michael was going to be his new best friend.

“Michael said his mom and dad have sex.”

My mouth went dry. The oxygen left my lungs. My vision went blurry. I searched the room for Jason. I pretended Elijah didn’t just say that.

“What was it that Michael told you?” I asked, almost in a whisper. Jason appeared in the dining room, smiling, not knowing what he had just walked into.

“Michael said his mom and dad have sex.” Elijah said, slower this time.

Jason’s eyes widened as he searched my face for an answer. “Christian school already.” He choked.

I ignored Elijah’s remark again. I patted Elijah’s head and walked toward Jason. Maybe this will just go away.

“He said they hit it hard.” I stopped dead in my tracks.

I shook my head. “They hit HIM hard. Oh, that’s so sad. Surely, Michael isn’t that bad of a kid.” I morphed the remark into something else, still hoping this would go away.

“No. They hit the SEX hard.” Great, now Elijah’s emphasizing the word SEX. I turned to look at Elijah as Jason decides to take over.

“Son, do you know what sex is?” He asked him.

“No, what is it?” Elijah asked, innocently.

“That’s not important.” Jason replied, as we both breathed a sigh of relief that Michael didn’t go into a great narrative about sex to our 7-year old.

“Isn’t that how babies are made?” Elijah asked. Jason laughed.

“Where did we tell you that babies come from?” Jason asked him. Elijah did see me pregnant and did have a few questions.

“God puts them in momma’s bellies.”

“Right. That’s all you need to know for now.” Jason replied.

I know we have our flaws as parents but we do try to keep things “age appropriate” in our home. Many thoughts were running through my mind: how did this kid find out this information, what is his home life like, did he see something or is this how his parents talk to him, and exactly where is the closest Christian school. Parenting is hard enough without have to decipher and manipulate what they hear from other kids. I cringe at the future and try to remind myself that I am shoving our conservative values and respectable morals down Elijah’s throat and that he is digesting it all well…..for now.
 
 
  
 
 
*Names have been changed to protect the guilty kid that obviously has a different environment at home than Elijah.

No comments:

Post a Comment