Thursday, August 2, 2012

August 2, 2009 - Jonah's 14th Day

August 2, 2009

“Jonah is 2 weeks old today and he had a good night!”

The days were becoming uneventful and not too progressive. We were at a standstill with Jonah. He wasn’t improving but he wasn’t declining. We took it in stride and prayed for the best. His life was in limbo and we were just going along for the ride. I was enjoying the peaceful time. I was enjoying the time to touch my baby and have him respond to me.

“Jonah is still a sick little boy and he has many battles ahead of him but he has overcame so many HUGE obstacles, I think his days might get easier. He's came through the longest of heart surgeries - over 12 hours - and 3 much smaller surgeries (but of no less importance) and he's come off his support. His color is improving and they did drain some fluid off him but he's still quite puffy.”

He was still on dialysis and still not putting out much fluid. He was swelling to the point that closing up his chest was just not an option. Jonah was comfortable and in no pain but he was allowed to wake up, wiggle and open his eyes.

“BIG NEWS - he smiled for me today. I came in at 6:30 this morning. Brian (I think he's Jonah's favorite nurse) said he smiled. Brian even had a witness to this. I was pretty bummed that Brian is getting more attention than me. But he does take care of Jonah for 12 hours straight, constantly by his bedside. Dr. Elbe came in while I was there - joking that he heard Jonah said his first word last night….for Brian.”

The nurses spent more time with Jonah than anybody. Jonah still had his days and nights confused, and for Brian, that meant he got the best of times with Jonah. He bathed him, talked to him and Jonah pulled out all the stunts for him. Brian enjoyed seeing what Jonah would do at night when he was awake. Even more, Brian enjoyed reporting it back to me when I arrived at the hospital at 6.

“On a more serious note, he did explain that while Jonah didn't make any progress overnight, he didn't have any setbacks - and that in itself, is progress. They have alot of work to do on Jonah's blood. His pH level is low but his vitals are good.”

It was still a balancing act that Jonah’s body couldn’t perform too well.

“I came back at 8 this morning, just for a few minutes before the doctor's made their rounds. I talked to Jonah and was explaining to him how great my love was for him. :) And he *SMILED* ever so slightly.”

I remember his little rose-colored lips, spreading wide. You could almost see the dimples in his fat cheeks. It was what I needed from Jonah that night. A sweet smile. It was nice to see that he did save some stunts for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment