Tuesday, July 24, 2012

July 24, 2009 - Jonah's 5th Day

July 24, 2009

At only 5 days old, Jonah was impacting our lives in a way we could never imagine. We witnessed his struggles and saw his fight. I remember being allowed to do the small things: brush his hair, clean his face, put balm on his lips. When I would rub his tiny, red lips, he would press his little lips together in a small pucker and it was the cutest thing I had ever seen. At 5 days old, I still had not seen Jonah’s eyes. Can you imagine? I still had not held my baby boy. I was only able to touch, kiss and speak to him. There were no diapers to change, no midnight feedings, and no crying. I wanted all those things so desperately.

“Good morning!! And it is GOOD. Jonah had another great night. They were taking him off the sedation just a bit this morning. When I kissed him this morning, he puckered up his little lips for me. I love every little inch of this amazing boy! I had them brush his "teeth" (his gums), making his mouth minty fresh for all the kisses today.”

“He's still going to be on morphine today - and will not feel any pain but they do want him to start moving a little. And he's responding well.”

I loved when Jonah was less sedated. I loved watching him wave his tiny arms in the air, as if he was praising the Lord. He would do what most all newborns did except with more work involved. He would wiggle, he would respond to stimulation and he would stick his tongue out.


I can't kiss him enough. His swelling is going down and he's starting to look like my baby again. He's also urinating more which means the kidneys are working. His cardiologist is giving us good reports and we're so thrilled about the progress.”

“We've had a rough time and Jason and I both have been on the brink of falling apart but with God's amazing love and Jonah's overwhelming strength, we have been able to pull ourselves back together and sort through all of this.”

With heart defects, you just never know. We went to bed each night, leaving Jonah, not knowing what the next day would hold for him. Or if that day would come at all. I know several nights as Jason and I went to say goodnight, Jason would tell me through tears that he didn’t want it to be the last night. I never did either. We always, always wanted one more night with our perfect little boy.

1 comment:

  1. my sweet little cousin,i to suffered as you have,i put bee balm on my dying sons lips,i washed his feverish brow,i laid my head on his chest,he was forty-four,the Lord almighty held all our hands through this nightmare.i listened to him talk to Jesus,our lives are changed forever and will never be the same,he never complained,we will both hold our sons again dear heart,mean while Jesus keeps them in his loving care...Barbara Ann Collins

    ReplyDelete